Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One-on-One: Andrew Schaetzke

(Photo: cstv.com)
Meet Georgetown's own Andrew Shaetzke. He was a four year player for the Hoyas. Throughout his career, Shaetzke had 195 tackles, 30.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, and 3 interceptions. He returned one of those interceptions for a touchdown.

After recording 59 tackles and 2 interceptions in his junior year, Shaetzke was named an All Patriot League First Team player.

His senior year was his best. He had 69 tackles, 13 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles on his way to being named ECAC Defensive Player of the Year and was named an FCS First Team All American.

You were an ECAC Defensive MVP and FCS First Team All American; what do those accomplishments mean to you?
"Those are great individual accomplishments. But, they are truly a credit to my teammates and coaches. The only reason I got any awards was because we as a team were able to win some games and get recognition this year."

What is your favorite memory of your college career?
"My favorite memory is most likely the second game of my senior season vs Lafayette. We were able to battle back as a defense and force a fumble late in the game when they could have taken a knee and kicked a field goal for the win. They wanted to secure more yards for an easier kick with about :30 seconds left on the clock, but, we made the running back fumble and we recovered it instead."

If a scout were to ask you what your best quality is, what would be your answer?
"In my opinion, I would like to think my motor and work ethic. I am a hard worker and am continually fighting to maximize my potential."

What is one thing that sets you apart from the defensive ends in this years draft class?
"There are great D-ends in the draft. However, I believe my quickness and agility in combination with my motor will set me apart."

What is one aspect of your game that you could improve on? What have you been doing to improve on it?
"I did not drop into coverage as much as a true 3-4 outside backer does in the NFL. Therefore, I have been working on my drops so that I can cover as much space as possible."

What have you been doing to prepare for the draft and impress the scouts?
"I did my Pro-Day at the University of Toledo on March 13th. I have been working with a speed coach, Coach Joe Gentry, since about January."

What are you most looking forward to about playing at the next level?
"The experience as a whole I anticipate to be great. I am blessed to even have the opportunity to be considered in the draft."

When I watched Schaetzke on film, I was absolutely blown away. He has quick hands and great feet. Before a blocker gets a chance to touch him, he has already blown right past them. His most remarkable quality, however, is his football I.Q. By the time he takes his first step, he already knows where the ball is going. He reads his keys exceptionally well. He will have to prove he can play a stand-up defensive end. If he can cover, he will get his chance in the NFL.

Here are his results from his Pro-Day in Toledo:
40 Yard Dash: 5.01; Bench Press (225 lbs): 22 Repetitions; Vertical Jump: 32 1/2"; Broad Jump: 9' 07"; 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.34; 3-Cone Drill: 7.11

No comments:

Post a Comment